Sunday, October 27, 2013

Entering my teenage months

After having a conversation with some co-workers I have decided to accurately depict Juliet the Vizsla and not just focus on the positive (there are a lot of those moments), but to also highlight some of the not so desirable behaviors.  Juliet is loving and sweet most of the time, but has an infinity for shoes, socks, leaves, sticks and experiences bouts of selective listening. 

I have been taking her to puppy class for over a month, and she has learned a lot, but still has a long way to go.  We are currently working on loose leash training and "leave it" commands.  She is a major puller (especially in new and exciting environments), and I am constantly working on helping her "focus" on me.  It is a work in progress, and I continue on putting in the hard work in the hopes of molding a well balanced dog in the future. 

Juliet has also experiences some resource guarding behavior, which is "normal" yet not something I am willing to tolerate.  This behavior was mostly with items that she is not supposed to have (toilet paper rolls, my make-up brush).  With some coaching from my trainer, and by doing research Juliet has not shown this possessiveness in over a month! (Whoooo hooo!) I will continue to be diligent in working with her to ensure this is a behavior that is eliminated all together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment